Monday, May 6, 2013

The Beginning of my Journey

Search for Awareness 



     When I was in high school there were times in both my Junior and Senior years that I had to take "filler" courses since I had tried so hard to get my basic classes out of the way in my freshman and sophomore years. My junior year there was a class offered called "Search for Awareness" it was taught by a teacher I had never met but would become a great role model and supportive friend over the year. The first thing I noticed about this class was it's location, it was in the basement of a building with the "art" classes, Mind you I was no artist so I had never been down this hallway. 

     When I went to class the first day I found the most kind, gentle hearted teacher I had ever encountered, Mr Jim Wetzel, this was a very large class that was considered a "fluff" course by most students, I went in with no idea what I had gotten myself into and I considered after the first day to ask for a different class since I noticed that there were a lot of people in the class that thought it was a joke and I didn't feel like I had time to deal with them but something made me change my mind and I stayed. To this day I know this class was meant for me because 20+ years later I still have my original notebook with comments from Mr. Wetzel. 

     I don't remember the course description but just the title intrigued me, "Search for Awareness". I ask what the heck kind of class could this be? Awareness of what? I walked in on day 1 very confused. Here I was a 16 year old who didn't know how much I didn't know about myself or "love", I walked out with a friend and a better knowledge of myself and love. I remember telling my Father about this class and he asked, "Why are you taking a hippie class?" I told him that it intrigued me and I wanted to learn more about it. He told me he was ok with me taking the class and so here I went on a journey that I didn't know if I was ready for, in fact a few days in I knew I wasn't when I cried everyday for a week because it was uncomfortable but  in a good way. Weird I know but I now believe it was a "God" thing as to why this class spoke to me. 

     Class started in January and so began my journey or Search for Awareness, I don't remember even one other student in this class, I do however remember a ton of what I was taught and the awesome teacher. Class started out the same each day, there was always a saying or quote on the board that went in our notebook, the introduction was the day after my 16th birthday it was- "What makes you think that you think?" At the time I thought it was a joke- but then class went on and that question was the root of the class. All that was required was a notebook, a writing utensil and your attention. Pretty much everyday we watched films, I have the names of most of them and I am hoping I can find them again but not sure since they were super old in 1991, so I can't imagine since most were not even on VHS or BETA but had to be on a projector with the lights off. I remember lost of student sleeping or goofing off but it was 1st hour and a little after 7 am so it is hard for at teenager to stay awake since they generally didn't sleep much the night before. 

     During the course of class I learned so much about myself but even at the time I didn't know it. I will blog more later but for now just think about that one question:: 

     What makes you think that you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment